Sunday, December 5, 2021

December 6, 2021

                                                         Week Two / Monday

Overcoming the Fear of…

Being Forgotten


But now hear, O Jacob my servant, Israel whom I have chosen! Thus says the LORD who made you, who formed you from the womb and will help you: Fear not, O Jacob my servant, Jeshurun whom I have chosen. For I will pour water on the thirsty land, and streams on the dry ground; I will pour my Spirit upon your offspring, and my blessing on your descendants.  - Isaiah 44:1-3


God has made us to long for eternity.  We know that we were made for something bigger than what we can see. The 17th-century mathematician and philosopher, Blaise Pascal said, “What else does this craving, and this helplessness, proclaim but that there was once in man a true happiness, of which all that now remains is the empty print and trace? This he tries in vain to fill with everything around him … since this infinite abyss can be filled only with an infinite and immutable object; in other words by God himself.”  

We try to fill this craving in our hearts with relationships, jobs, or social media. It may satisfy our desire to be remembered for a short while, but that fear of being forgotten will eventually creep back into our lives. 

We are all created by God, and we desire to spend eternity with Him in heaven. Even in this fallen world, we want to leave a legacy. We have to constantly remind ourselves that we were created for another world, a world we are not currently living in; and, this lifetime is just a flash in the bigger picture.  

God remembers us from the moment we are created. 



Rather than asking ourselves, “How will those I know remember me?”, we should ask, “How would we want God to remember us?” 

In my own life, I hope to be remembered as someone who was a warrior for Christ and stood for truth, in both the easy and difficult times. 

In what ways do you fear being forgotten?                  


Read Isaiah 44:1-3 one more time.


  • What does this scripture tell you about God?  


  • What does this scripture tell you about your fear?


Prayer for Today: LORD, please help me to fix my eyes on eternity, and not get caught up in all the empty ways the world promises to fill my longing to leave a legacy that will be remembered.

Written by: Jessica Barrett

Small Group Leader


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home