Tuesday, November 30, 2021

December 1, 2021

                                                        Week One / Wednesday

Overcoming the Fear of…

Being Alone


But now thus says the Lord, he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: “Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you.”

-Isaiah 43:1-2

 

Being alone. The word “alone” has a negative connotation. It’s a word in our society that makes us feel set apart, outcast, by ourselves. We are afraid to sit alone at lunch, to walk home alone, to be alone in our room for a long time, to stay home alone, and to spend the weekends alone. Being alone is something that I find myself struggling with often. This fear often overcomes my thoughts, as I sit alone at night pondering how I could feel so lonely with so many people around me. When the fear overwhelms me, I often ask God why I am so afraid of being lonely. “Why can I not accept that I am alone at this moment?”

 

God often speaks to me about acceptance of the moment. As Isaiah says in this passage, we are not alone, God is there. So then, you may ask, “Why do we feel loneliness?” Loneliness reflects our fear of not being accepted. Although we know that God is present, we still feel this empty void. Sometimes we try to fill that void with worldly things to distract us from this feeling of loneliness. 

 

That void will never be filled without God.

 

Yes, I still struggle with the fear of loneliness. And yes, there are days where I shut God out when I should let him in. Here’s the thing, though: God will not give up on you. God has called us and created us, as Isaiah says.  He formed us to be with Him.


In what ways do you fear being alone?                   


 

Read Isaiah 43:1-2 one more time.

  • What does this scripture tell you about God?  

 

  • What does this scripture tell you about your fear?

 

 

Prayer for Today:  LORD God, help me accept that there are times I will feel alone. Help me know that I can always turn to you in this loneliness and that you are always present. Help me turn to you not just in my successes but also my struggles. Even through our hardships, you are there. I love you God, and in Your Name I pray, AMEN!

 

Written by: Olivia Gray 

NextGen High School Youth


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home