Sunday, November 28, 2021

November 29, 2021

Week One / Monday

Overcoming the Fear of…

Standing Firm in the Faith

 

Who will harm you if you are eager to do what is good?  But even if you should suffer for doing what is right, how happy you are!  Do not be afraid of anyone, and do not worry.  But have reverence for Christ in your hearts, and honor him as Lord.  Be ready at all times to answer anyone who asks you to explain the hope you have in you…  – 1 Peter 3:13-15

 

Verse 16 then goes onto say… “but do it with gentleness and respect”.  I don’t think you can have gentleness and respect, without love mixed in there.

These few verses are jam-packed with richness.  First of all, I believe Peter is telling us that God is behind us, no matter what we are going through.  We may even suffer in doing what is righteous.  We can have confidence in God’s protection from harm, as we are obedient in doing what He wants us to do.   We need not fear anything or anyone. 

(I think “do not fear/be afraid” is written over 300 times in the Bible!  The writers knew what we would face.  What a reminder, we must need!) 

And shouldn’t we spread goodness with joy?  As we do good, we are honoring Him, with deep respect.  In the last part of this scripture, we must be ready to explain why we have such hope inside of us.  This is the part that becomes “scary” for me.  I wonder if people are ready to hear my story (which is actually, God’s story).  I pray before I speak that the Holy Spirit would soften their hearts, and for His words to be mine. 

I cannot become scared or worry, because, well, Peter tells me not to.  So, I replace fear and envelop myself in Him.  His Love cancels out all fear, as it says in 1 John 4:18: “There is no fear in love; perfect love drives out fear…”

_____________________________________________

 

In what ways do you fear standing firm in the faith?                  

 

Read 1 Peter 3:13-15 one more time.

-       What does this scripture tell you about God?  

-       What does this scripture tell you about your fear?

 

Prayer for Today: Precious Lord, please help me to do the good that you will for me to do. Help me feel protected by you. I praise you that Your confidence surrounds me, so I need not be afraid. I honor You, Jesus. Thank you for equipping me with your love, each time I come in contact with others. I love You, Almighty Father. Amen

 

Written by: Laura Brownlee

Prayer Team, NextGen Ministry Team


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home