Saturday, December 4, 2021

December 5, 2021

                                                         Week Two / Sunday

Overcoming the Fear of…

The Unknown


Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives.  Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.  - John 14:27


In 1950, while my family and I were visiting my grandparents in Tulsa, Oklahoma, I contracted polio. I was seven years old. I was taken to a hospital and placed in quarantine for three months. My pediatrician in Knoxville arranged for my admittance to President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s Institute for Rehabilitation in Warm Springs, Georgia. I was at the rehabilitation hospital for nine months of surgeries and treatment. In the hospital, there was a picture of FDR in his wheelchair and the inscription read, “Nothing to fear but fear itself.” At an early age, this quote

helped me understand the word “fear”.

Later in life, I tried to study the Bible, but it never clicked with me… until I started going back to church. I was encouraged by my wife to go to the Men’s Bible Fellowship. I also met our new pastor, Bryan Wilson, who is a blessed mentor.

In 2010, I became the caregiver to my wife. This was a frightening and a fearful time of the unknown. I love my view of the Smoky Mountains from my home, and it was from there that I read Psalm 121:1-8:

I lift up my eyes to the mountains—where does my help come from?

My help comes from the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth… The Lord will keep you from all harm, He will watch over your life. The Lord will watch over your coming and going, both now and forevermore.

This scripture brought me much peace and understanding. To this day, I don’t feel afraid as I know that God is beside me. He taught me to pray about the present and the unknown, and to encourage others to do likewise.

In what ways do you fear the unknown?                  


Read John 14:27 one more time.

  • What does this scripture tell you about God?  


  • What does this scripture tell you about your fear?


 

Prayer for Today: Our Father in Heaven, thank you for all your blessings and your love to me. You gave me the peace, strength and courage when I needed it. Amen.

 

Written by: David L. Foy

Small Group Leader


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home