Saturday, December 11, 2021

December 12, 2021

                                                         Week Three / Sunday

Overcoming the Fear of…

Losing Control


Jesus was in the stern, sleeping on a cushion. The disciples woke him and said to him, "Teacher, don't you care if we drown?" He got up, rebuked the wind and said to the waves, "Quiet! Be still!" Then the wind died down and it was completely calm. He said to his disciples, "Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith?" They were terrified and asked each other, "Who is this? Even the wind and the waves obey him!"  - Mark 4:38-41

 

On my visits to the Sea of Galilee, the winds were calm and the water like glass. But just like in this passage, life’s storms can happen swiftly, without warning.

 

My first knee-jerk reaction to a sudden “storm” in my life is to try to fix it! Why do I turn to myself first, and not God? Is my pride so deep that I refuse to trust in the One who can calm the storm? Is my fiercely independent spirit keeping me from looking to the One who can guide me to the safe harbor? Am I rowing furiously, forgetting that if I just let out my sails, the Holy Spirit will fill those sails to lead me to safety? Giving up control is hard!

 

It's when life deals you a gut-punch that you realize something very quickly: having control over our lives is an illusion.

 

God is sovereign and rules over all. As a Bible study leader once told me, “God is large and in charge!” Nothing is outside of His control.  When we trust in Him, we can experience His peace, even in the midst of the storm. He is our Rescuer, Our Comforter, Our Refuge, Our Strength and Our Protector.  

 

When we surrender our lives to Him and let God be God, life’s storms will calm and our stresses will be relieved!

 

“Surrender yourself to the Lord, and wait patiently for him” (Psalm 37:7)

In what ways do you fear losing control?                  


Read Mark 4:38-41 one more time.


  • What does this scripture tell you about God?  


  • What does this scripture tell you about your fear?


 

Prayer for Today:  Lord, thank you for taking the burden off me to know all the answers and solutions to life’s struggles and storms. Help me to surrender daily to You and trust You first! In Jesus’ name, Amen.

 

Written by: Carol Ottaviano

Touchpoints Care Team, Small Group Leader


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home