Wednesday, December 22, 2021

December 23, 2021

                                                         Week Four / Thursday

Overcoming the Fear of…

Other People’s Opinions

The Lord is on my side; I will not fear. What can man do to me?  - Psalm 118:6 

I was walking across Fifth Avenue in Manhattan with my two young children, ages 1 and 3… My hands were full (literally and figuratively) as I was attempting to push the stroller and wrangle my 3 year old, who was on a scooter. All of a sudden, she decided not to scoot anymore.  Instead, she laid prostrate, in the middle of the street, in protest. Equally terrified and horrified, I scooped her up off the ground and shuffled across the busy avenue. As she continued to flail about in the most epic of all tantrums, I felt all eyes on me. 

A woman approached, and she began giving me parenting advice. I’m sure it was out of a heart to help (or I would like to think so) but, at the time, all I wanted was to snap my fingers and be in the privacy of our home… and cry. 

You see, I have a problem. I care deeply about what others think of me. In this moment, all I could think about was what other people were thinking, or saying, about me as a parent. 

Have you ever felt this way? Maybe a public disappointment or failure at work? Or a mean-spirited social media post pointed at you? Or a family member pointing out your mistakes and failures repeatedly? 



Psalm 118 points to the truth that we cannot base our identity on what others think of us. We need not fear, because God is on our side. He loves us, despite our failures and mistakes. When we find our identity as God’s sons and daughters, we’re able to break free from the opinions of others, and live in the freedom of God’s unconditional love.


In what ways do you fear other people’s opinions?                  


Read Psalm 118:6 one more time.


  • What does this scripture tell you about God?  


  • What does this scripture tell you about your fear?


Prayer for Today:  Lord God, help me not fear what other people think of me. Help me to live in light of who you say I am, a child of God, beloved, not because of what I’ve done, but because of who you are. Amen.

Written by: Kimberly Leopold

CRU New York City; Grace Church Ministry Partner


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home