Monday, December 20, 2021

December 21, 2021

                                                         Week Four / Tuesday

Overcoming the Fear of…

Leadership


It is the LORD who goes before you.  He will be with you; he will not leave you or forsake you.  Do not fear or be dismayed.  – Deuteronomy 31:8


Early in my career, I coveted leadership; confident my smarts and drive would make me a good leader – surely, I could do a better job than my boss.  There were two mistakes in my thinking.  First, I thought it was about me – my intellect and energy; but it wasn’t – it was about being a servant to the people I might someday lead.  Second, once given the opportunity, I thought the title gave me influence. It didn’t, it just gave me a title – influence would be granted by those I lead.


I also thought I was alone, but that wasn’t so; God was walking before me and with me. I just didn’t recognize it.  I remember sitting in that big office wondering what I was to do first.  The boss is supposed to always have the answer, right?  So, I dug into my skills and talents.  For fifteen years all went well, or so it seemed.  God, on the other hand, knew I was going down a self-reliant, self- destructive path and it all came apart on a Saturday morning 20 years ago when my boss fired me.  God had intervened, and I was humbled.


Scripture tells us that for those who love God, all things work together for good (Romans 8:28).  That experience taught me to trust God in good times and bad, knowing that he is in front of me, beside me, and behind me. That moment reshaped my life for the good.


 

In what ways do you fear leadership?                  


Read Deuteronomy 31:8 one more time.


  • What does this scripture tell you about God?  


  • What does this scripture tell you about your fear?



Prayer for Today:  God, I lift up all our leaders at Grace, and in our country, asking that they would rely first on you to set them on the right path.  With God all things are possible.


Written by: Ian Howard

Small Group Leader, Personnel Team, Safety Team


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home