Thursday, December 23, 2021

December 24, 2021

                                                             Week Four / Friday

Overcoming the Fear of…

Shame

 

I sought the Lord, and He answered me; He delivered me from all my fears. Those who look to Him are radiant; their faces are never covered with shame.  - Psalm 34:4-5

 

Shame… that gut-wrenching feeling when I know I acted selfishly and foolishly. I have had my fair share of big and small shame moments. From the blow-ups during a routine day that expose my underlying selfishness to the big ones when I turned my back on God.

 

For most of my life, I have tried to “earn” my salvation by striving to be perfect. But I have also lived a worldly life at times and had blatant disregard for God. I might have still been seeking during that time, but my decisions didn’t show it.

 

But, here’s what is fascinating and speaks to God’s character... Instead of letting me stay on that sinful path of destruction, He chose my least deserving moment in life to extend His grace, bless me, and change my life forever. NOT when I was being “good.”

 

Sin and perfectionism both separate me from God. My efforts to be perfect pale in comparison to His holiness, and, on the flipside, my sin is no surprise to Him.

 

He knows my heart. I cannot hide from Him when I feel ashamed. That is precisely the moment He wants me to seek Him. He wants to meet me in my shame and remind me that He took care of sin and death once and for all.

 

In what ways do you fear shame?                  


Read Psalm 34:4-5 one more time.

  • What does this scripture tell you about God?  


  • What does this scripture tell you about your fear?


 

Prayer for Today:  Heavenly Father, thank you for your grace that allows me to live shame-free and in fellowship with you. 

 

Written by: Julia Lowe

NextGen Ministry Team, Small Group Leader


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home